Cardiff

Children gather in Cardiff to support Palestine

by Jess Hannegan-Jones

Hundreds of children gathered this weekend in Cardiff in solidarity with Palestine. 

Families came to the city’s Victoria Park on Saturday to show their support peacefully by walking together, for the children and families in Gaza. 

The event, organised by charity ‘Forgotten Women’ brought together around 400 people and raised £34,500 for their cause through children being sponsored for their walk. They were given certificates and medals for their contribution. 

Sulman Malik, a representative of the charity, said the event, which has previously been held in London, was about education and coming together. It was ‘not a march’.

“The turnout has been brilliant,” he said.

“There are families from all backgrounds here today but today we are all Palestinian”. 

The event itself had been planned more than a month ago and organises decided it should go ahead despite news of a ceasefire being agreed by Isreal. The decision was made for those who had committed their efforts to raise money for the charity.

Amongst those gathered were Asma SaÏdani, co-founder of ‘Parents Teachers for Palestine’.

She said: “Most of the time parents think it’s a bit tricky to take kids to demos and be in a large crowd.” 

Another mum said: “Protests can be scary for children, especially at the moment. Today doesn’t feel like that”.

Ben, 7, said: “I was worried I would be arrested!” 

A small number of PCSO’s were present at Victoria Park but didn’t follow the walk. 

The event preceded the ‘National March for Palestine’ planned to take place in Cardiff later the same day.

Keir Starmer has called for Palestine Protests not to go ahead this weekend following the terror attack that took place on Thursday in Manchester at the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue. 

Categories: Cardiff, international, South Wales

Tagged as:

Leave a Reply